Sunday, December 1, 2013

JUST BE HAPPY.

Usually in life, packing your bags and running away when you’re experiencing a moment of frustration isn't an option.  In ‘real life’ you are forced to find a way to adjust, move on, and get over it.  Here in Nicaragua, all we have to do is say the words that we are done, that we can’t take anymore and in a few days we will be on a one way flight home.  It’s that easy.  But what exactly would that accomplish?  Would running away from challenges bring happiness?  

Regardless of where a person is in life, it’s probably a great lesson to learn to not let your ability to be happy rest on the actions of others.  Lately, I have had to remind myself that although bad people can temporarily rob me of my sense of security, physically hurt me or steal my favorite things, they sure as heck cannot steal my happiness.  Only I have control over my reactions and outlook.  As a good friend of mine so nicely put it, we can build tons of wonderful memories but unfortunately, it only takes one bad event to shatter all the good ones.  So it's important to remember that happiness is found in the simple things, like a cup of good Jinotega coffee, an old fashion book (the page flipping type), a song (on an ipod from 2004), a conversation (on a $18 cell phone or rocking chairs), a hot shower (with a bucket), unplanned adventures and officially being a proud owner of a mini-fridge.  Happiness is definitely, definitely not found in a shiny, perfect, flawlessly beautiful Samsung Galaxy tablet… right?  Happiness is embracing where we are, the simple things that we have, and simply making the best out of our circumstances.  As much as I have felt ‘over it’ in the past few months, and over mal-intended people, it’s important to remember that a few bad moments can’t ruin this amazing experience.    

Life is so incredibly good.  This experience is so incredibly unique, beautiful and completely impossible to replicate.  Just this month, I watched a baby be brought into this world, saw a man’s life be saved with a leg amputation, organized a national event, proudly watched my students compete in the National Small Business Competition, and I sat with the Ambassador in her living room discussing current political events and Nicaragua-US relations after a delicious Thanksgiving meal. 

I am so grateful for this experience, difficulties and all, because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  No one ever said it would be easy, and honestly, I wanted to be challenged.  So this Thanksgiving, I am grateful for the ability to overcome challenges, for my health, my general safety, my beautiful family, FSU being #1 in the nation, #unconquered!  living in the cold mountains and even for the challenges that will maybe one day make me stronger or at least give me a good story to tell. J  And last but not least, my dear, sweet Nicaragua, I am still so incredibly grateful for you and all the goodness you have shown me over the past 20 months. 





1 comment:

  1. I think you are spot on Hannah. We are in charge of our own lives and ultimately our own happiness. It's so easy to get bent out of shape over some issue that doesn't really matter in the long run or think that happiness comes from our possessions. I think that is especially true in a place like South Florida where material wealth is how people measure success. It's so easy to get wrapped up in it and forget what is truly important and will make you genuinely happy. You will remember these life experiences, the places you have seen and the people you have met long after that shiny gadget has become outdated and broken.

    I am really glad to hear that you are having such an amazing time in Nicaragua and are meeting all the challenges that are being thrown at you! I am so proud of everything you are doing and accomplishing with the Peace Corps, you rock Banana!

    ReplyDelete